All images courtesy of Walt Disney Media.
Disney’s Into the Woods | 10 Reasons to See Christmas Day #IntoTheWoodsEvent
Just a few short days ago I sat in the Samuel Goldwyn Theater, the official “Academy” theater, in Beverly Hills waiting anxiously to screen Disney’s Into the Woods. While that is an honor in itself, I was also seated just a few short rows away from the cast and filmmakers. Yes, that includes the amazing Meryl Streep! As I sat there watching Into the Woods, with a huge smile across my face, I couldn’t help but keep thinking about my son and how much he would absolutely love it!
Into the Woods is about a witch (Meryl Streep) that tasks a childless baker (James Corden) and his wife (Emily Blunt) with finding magical items from the woods. The magical items are from known classic fairy tales like Little Red Riding Hood, Jack in the Beanstalk, Rapunzel and Cinderella. The baker and his wife are sent to find them to reverse the curse put on their family tree. The beginning of the movie quickly sets the tone for a fun musical filled with magic and mystery.
Here’s my top 10 reasons why you should take your family to see Into the Woods on Christmas Day.
1. Meryl Streep… Academy Award winning Meryl Streep. I honestly don’t need to give any reason why that’s my number one. She is absolutely amazing. When you read my Meryl Streep interview tomorrow you’ll find out exactly why I think she is so amazing!
2. It’s a Musical! A musical is the perfect reason to take the whole family to see Into the Woods on Christmas Day. It’s perfect for kids. I think the music keeps it exciting and fun for the little ones. My son loves any reason for a good song and dance so I know he will love it. It also gives a lot of great hidden messages that are important for kids to learn.
Anna Kendrick plays the perfect Cinderella! Watch her sing “On The Steps Of The Palace” below!
4. Modern Take on Grimm Fairy Tales. Into the Woods is a modern take on grimm fairy tales, The Brothers Grimm fairy tales. I love learning about the grimm fairy tales and how different they are than what we actually let our children believe. Into the Woods shows us that what you wish for can actually come true. You should be careful what you wish for. Although it is about grimm fairy tales, I believe it’s fine for the whole family and children six or seven and older. I know my son would have been fine watching it at age six. Although this is a darker movie for Disney, I do not believe this is a scary movie… at all!
5. The Voices. I was pleasantly surprised by the amazing voices by the whole cast. Every song was magical and impeccable. One of my favorite scenes is when Cinderella’s Prince (Chris Pine) and Rapunzel’s Prince (Billy Magnussen) come together to sing. The crowd in the theater was clapping by the end of their performance.
I was completely blown away by Lilla Crawford as Little Red Riding Hood. Her voice is amazing! You will be pleasantly surprised by the voice of all cast members!
6. Cinderella’s stepmother and Stepsisters. Christine Baranski plays the perfect stepmother. The stepsisters Florinda (Tammy Blanchard) and Lucinda (Lucy Punch) play the perfect roles to what we all know about the Cinderella fairy tale. The outcome of these stepsisters is definitely one that will have you laughing in your seat.
7. Jack and the Beanstalk. Tracy Ullman plays the perfect peasant as Jack’s mother to recreate Jack and the Beanstalk. The two struggle to make ends meet and you’ll be chuckling as they drag Jack’s prized cow, Milky-White, around the countryside. Jack (Daniel Huttlestone) will definitely be an actor we will see in the near future!
8. Emily Blunt and Jack Corden. Who knew Emily Blunt had such an amazing voice? The baker (James Corden) and his wife (Emily Blunt) make the perfect duo as they struggle with the curse of their family tree. Be sure to check out my interview of these two on the 29th. They are hilarious!
9. Rob Marshall. After being able to interview Rob Marshall, the thing that stuck with me the most was how much he thought of the cast. It was really like they were a big family. He was admittedly blown away by the voices of the cast. He has directed five actors in Oscar nominated performances!
10. Anna Kendrick. We all know Anna Kendrick can sing but she makes an even more beautiful Cinderella. I love how she isn’t your typical Cinderella. Director Rob Marshall had so many amazing things to say about her but you’ll have to wait for my post when we interviewed the two of them together!
The movie was outstanding and received a standing ovation at the SRO screening at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. After screening the movie we had the opportunity to watch the cast and filmmakers in a live Q&A with director Rob Marshall and cast members Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, James Corden, Chris Pine, Anna Kendrick, Christine Baranski, and Tracey Ullman as well as costume designer Colleen Atwood, producers John DeLuca and Marc Platt, screenwriter James Lapine and cinematographer Dion Beebe.
Watch the trailer below:
All images courtesy of Walt Disney Media.