Valentine Popcorn Bars
Here is a fun recipe to make with your kids. They are also perfect for Valentine treat bags for your children to take to school. This recipe is a cross between a popcorn ball and a rice krispy treat! I love the sweetness from the marshmallows with the unique and tasty texture of the popcorn. You can easily make two pans out of this recipe so it’s perfect for parties! No popcorn popper required! You can easily create this recipe with a brown paper bag and microwave to make beautiful popcorn bars for Valentine’s Day!
Makes about 8-9 dozen bars.
- 16 ounces of mini marshmallows (My store only carried 10 oz packages so I bought two and split one in half)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 quarts popped popcorn (that’s 24 cups!)
- 1 package M&M candies (I used some special colors I picked up on sale at my grocery store)
- Grease two 9 x 13 pans.
- Add marshmallows, butter and oil to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring and watching constantly, until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- Place popped popcorn in a very large mixing bowl.
- Pour melted marshmallow mixture over popcorn and mix well.
- Add M&M’s halfway through mixing.
- Press into the two prepared 9 x 13 pans and let set for about two hours.
- Cut into bars and serve.
Store in an airtight container.
Making Popcorn in your Microwave: 3/4 cups unpopped popcorn made about 16 cups of popped popcorn! I put the popcorn in a large brown grocery bag, folded the top down four times (maybe five so it would fit into my microwave) and popped for 4:50. Just listen and smell so that it doesn’t burn!
No oil, no salt, just popcorn!