This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Walmart Family Mobile. All opinions are mine alone.
I love creating recipes with my son that he can enjoy. Granola bars are a favorite of his but I always wonder if the ones I buy at the store are very good for him. I had to head to Walmart the other day so I decided I would grab some ingredients for a healthy granola bars recipe. I was sure to take along my Samsung Galaxy Avant with Walmart best plans so I could use my favorite money saving and grocery apps.
Pepperplate is my absolute favorite recipe and grocery app. I just add my recipes to it and it quickly makes a shopping list for me right in the app on my phone. With Walmart Family Mobile’s 4G LTE service I am able to easily use it while shopping at Walmart. Walmart Family Mobile service is only $29.88/month (for the first line) Unlimited Talk, Text & Data service plan which includes up to 500MB of 4G LTE data. Plus, I can save even more money with my app to make sure I stick to my shopping list and don’t buy any of those unnecessary treats. So, off to find my ingredients for my healthy granola bars.
One of the things I love the most about being able to use my smartphone with Pepperplate is that it breaks all items on the shopping list into sections of the store. Here’s the ingredients to these delicious healthy granola bars:
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⅓ cup sliced almonds
- ⅔ cup mini dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup creamy unsalted almond butter or peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
This recipe makes about a dozen bars depending how big you cut them. I love to double the recipe so I can save bars for my son’s snack for school or for me to grab a quick snack.
- Use parchment paper to line a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Put the oats in a food processor and pulse them just slightly unless you prefer the large oats in your bars. I didn’t feel like getting out my food processor so I used this little blender. I don’t recommend it. haha!
- In a mixing bowl, whisk to combine the oats, almonds, chocolate chips, cinnamon and salt. If your almond butter or peanut butter is already salted, you might want to decrease the salt to taste.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the almond/peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and combine well. Be sure all the oats are covered. If your mixture is too wet, add more oats.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish. Pack the mixture down firmly. You can use another dish or glass covered in parchment paper to really get it flattened and evened out on the top.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into bars.
- Wrap individual bars with plastic wrap or parchment paper for easy storage.
Tip: You can store granola bars at room temperature for a few days. For longer storage, try wrapping the bars and placing in freezer bags and freeze to keep flavor longer.
Try different ingredients and mix it up once in a while. You can use dried fruit, pecans or add coconut. I also like to substitute the almond/peanut butter and honey for Justin’s Honey Almond Butter from time to time. It is so delicious!
Be sure to check out more great phones and the fabulous Walmart Family Mobile service by visiting their website: http://cbi.as/6ibr.
Disclaimer: All prices for phones and plans included in this post are accurate as of the date of posting; however, these prices are subject to change. Please refer to http://cbi.as/6ibr or your local Walmart for current pricing.