Recipe courtesy of Allen Dikker, the owner and creator of the all-potato concept restaurant, Potatopia.
Allen Dikker of Potatopia’s Potato, Bacon and Cheese Soup
Prep Time/Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 mins
- 4 cups water
- 6 thick slices of bacon
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 20 ounces chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 stalks celery, chopped small (large)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lb processed cheese
- 1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 lb Swiss cheese, grated
Peel and prepare vegetables.
Cook bacon in a skillet. Once cool, crumble into small pieces and set aside.
In a large cooking pot, add water, salt, chicken broth, chicken soup base, black pepper, carrots, potatoes, onions and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stirring occasionally.
Add celery, sweet red pepper and simmer for 5 minutes more. Gradually add mayonnaise to hot soup, whisking until smooth.
Reduce heat to medium and add bacon, processed cheese, sharp cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese and simmer for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and soup is creamy; stirring constantly.
Let soup sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle bacon and cheese on top if desired.
Be sure to check out our other great recipes.