Honey Pecan Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Honey is one of my favorite sweet treats. You can use it as a spread, in recipes or even for beauty benefits. I love to use honey as a substitute for sugar in recipes. Honey is a natural sweetener with certain beneficial antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which are not present in table sugar. I made this recipe recently to make a holiday breakfast basket. It was perfect with my favorite Don Victor Honey. I even use the honeycomb in the recipe!
Here’s a video of the process. Don’t worry, we’ve got a slower version below!
Honey Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 pkg or 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 c water, warm
- 1/4 c powdered milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 c cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 4 c self-rising flour
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- 3/4 c – 1 c Don Victor Honey
- Honeycomb (optional)
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 c finely chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 stick butter, room temperature
Confectioners’ Sugar Glaze
- 2 c confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 tsp warm water
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup of warm water. Allow to sit about 5 minutes. Stir to until all of the yeast is dissolved.
- In a large bowl, add the yeast mixture to the powered milk, sugar, oil and egg.
- Slowly add in 1 1/2 cups of flour and work in until smooth. Gradually add 2 – 2 1/2 cups of more flour until you get the dough to a good working consistency. You want it easy to handle. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Knead the dough onto a floured surface until smooth. Lightly oil the sides of a large bowl. Add the dough to the oiled bowl. Cover and set in a warm place. Allow to rise until the dough has doubled in size. We turned on the oven and sit the dough near it for the warmth.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth and roll it out into a large rectangle. Generously spread the butter over the top of the rectangle of dough.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and honey. Spread evenly over the top of the buttered dough. Mash the honeycomb and spread over the mixture. This is optional.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans evenly over the honey-cinnamon mixture. You can skip this step if you prefer not to add pecans.
- Beginning at the widest side, roll up as evenly and tightly as possible. Cut into rolls at 1 inch intervals with kitchen twine.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet or baking dish. Cover and set in a warm, dry place until doubled in size.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-25 minutes. I started checking these at 20 minutes. I left these in a few minutes too long.
- While the rolls are baking you can prepare the confectioners’ sugar glaze. In a small mixing bowl, add vanilla to the sifted confectioner’s sugar. Very slowly add warm water a teaspoon at a time until the mixture gets to a consistency to allow you to drizzle it over the warm cinnamon rolls. Add more sugar if it gets too thin.
- Remove the rolls from oven. While the rolls are still warm , drizzle with the confectioners’ sugar glaze. Just before eating you could also drizzle honey over the rolls.
I always like to drizzle the top of my cinnamon roll with more of the delicious Don Victor Honey.
What’s your favorite way to use honey? Comment below and share with us!