11 DIY Tips with Dawn Dish Soap
Being able to use products you already have around the house for other uses saves time and money. I’m sure a lot of you have some of that original blue Dawn dish soap in your home. Use it for more than just your dishes. It’s like a little bottle of magic and offer so many other uses that many people don’t even know about.
Here’s some great uses by category!
1. Use the soap as shampoo. You can even use it daily if you want. The dish soap removes oil from your hair and shampoo buildup. Your hair will look vibrant by washing your tresses once a week while keeping your scalp clean.
2. Before a manicure, soak your fingers in the dish soap. Your cuticles will soften and you can easily (and safely) push them up before adding polish.
3. Skip the toxic flea products on the market, and instead give your pet a bath in this classic blue soap. It’s safe and will wash away those nasty fleas. Did your pet bring fleas in the house? Don’t panic! Sheets, clothing, and other washable items can be ran through the washing machine with a little bit of dawn. Fleas HATE the stuff, and will be gone in one wash.
4. Does your pet have a tick? You can safely remove the pesky critter by placing a drop of Dawn over the tick. After the tick is removed, wash your pup in the soap like you would if he had fleas, and drown the tick in the soap so you know he is good and dead. I normally like to flush ticks down the toilet just to be sure.
Around the House:
5. It didn’t matter what I used on my windows, I would still have streaks. Now I put a little bit of Dawn in a spray bottle with some water, spray my windows, and wipe with newspaper. No streaks!
6. You may find this hard to believe, but a cup of this magic liquid can unclog a toilet. Add one cup to your toilet bowl and let it sit for 15 minutes, then add in a bucket of hot water poured from the waist in height to clear the clog.
7. Two drops of this soap in a bucket of hot water is all you need to mop with.
8. Have greasy tools sitting around the house? Let them soak overnight in a bucket of warm water with a few drops of Dawn. Rinse them in the morning and the grease will be gone.
9. This magic soap works as a stain pre-treater to lift oil based stains right out. Add this soap to lipstick stains, grease, butter, and more. Let it sit and then say bye bye to grease stains.
10. In the past, when an injury happened I would add cubes of ice to a sandwich bag. Now I keep a sandwich bag of Dawn in my freezer on the shelf. It doesn’t melt like ice does and I can use it over and over again.
11. Living in the country, we spend a lot of money each year on poison ivy medicine. My doctor told me to stop buying the $70 over the counter stuff, and instead wash the affected area with blue original Dawn. It dries it up, and keeps it from spreading.
Do you know any other magic uses for Dawn dish soap? Share them below in the comments!